Apparently, fasting provides a myriad of health benefits. Fasting can be therapeutic and prevention of various diseases caused by eating and lifestyle habits that are not healthy. Fasting has been used as a healing, the spiritual, religious, and purification for hundreds of years in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Eastern religions. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Hippocrates, believed fasting therapy provides health benefits.
The secret behind the healing with fasting is, detoxification of excessive eating and exposure of the body of unwanted chemicals. Detoxification is the process of reducing and eliminating toxins from the body or change it as well as excessive mucus to revitalize the natural functions of the body. The poison can be in the form of nicotine and harmful drugs, air pollution, fat, cholesterol, and free radicals.
Nutrition experts the world defines fasting or starvation, as abstinence consume nutrients either totally or partially in the long term or short term. While the concept of fasting in Islam is substantially refrained from eating, drinking and sex began to dawn until sunset, accompanied by the intention. Therefore, fasting is different than regular starvation.
5 fasting health benefits
- Lowering cholesterol levels. We all know that weight loss is one of the positive effects of fasting during Ramadan. A team of cardiologists in the United Arab Emirates found that fasting people enjoy the positive effects of the reduction of cholesterol in the blood. Low cholesterol increases heart health, so that one can reduce the risk of heart disease, heart attack, or stroke. What's more, if you follow a healthy diet after Ramadan, cholesterol levels can be lowered with ease.
- Detoxifies the body. Fasting can detoxify the body of toxins that accumulate. During fasting, you can detoxify the digestive system in a month. When the body starts consuming fat reserves for energy, it will burn any harmful toxins that may be present in the fat deposits in your body.
- Absorb more nutrients. During fasting, the metabolism will be more efficient, which means the amount of nutrients absorbed from food becomes larger. This is because an increase in a hormone called adiponectin, which is produced by a combination of fasting and dawn, allowing the muscle to absorb more nutrients.
- Weight control. Fasting makes it easier to lose weight. We do not need to do an extreme diet to lose a few pounds body weight. We just need to eat in moderation and keep eating healthy foods during fasting.
- Improve the ability of the brain. Scientists in the U.S. found that fasting can increase derived neurotrophic factor from the brain, which encourages the body to produce more brain cells, so it can improve brain function. Similarly, a decrease in the amount of the hormone cortisol, which is produced by the adrenal glands, making a person can lower stress levels during and after Ramadan.