Do you know another source of vitamin C besides oranges? In fact, there are several vitamin c foods from fruits or vegetables that higher than oranges. There are about 21 kinds of fruits that contain vitamin C which is enough to meet your daily vitamin C needs. Most people consider, the source of vitamin C contained in oranges only. Even in some cases, some people who do not want to meet the consumption of vitamin C, because they do not like oranges fruit.
Vitamin C requirement is different for each person, depending on their living habits. In teenagers, these habits such as smoking, drinking coffee, or alcoholic beverages, the consumption of certain medications such as anti-seizure medications, tetracycline antibiotics, anti-arthritis, sleep medicine, and oral contraceptives. Smoking habits eliminates 25% of vitamin C in the blood. In addition to other compounds that affect nicotine as bad is caffeine. Besides stress, fever, infection, and exercise also increases the need for vitamin C.
Below RDA for vitamin C based on ods.od.nih.gov data.
|0–6 months||40 mg*||40 mg*|
|7–12 months||50 mg*||50 mg*|
|1–3 years||15 mg||15 mg|
|4–8 years||25 mg||25 mg|
|9–13 years||45 mg||45 mg|
|14–18 years||75 mg||65 mg||80 mg||115 mg|
|19+ years||90 mg||75 mg||85 mg||120 mg|
|Smokers||Individuals who smoke require 35 mg/day|
more vitamin C than nonsmokers.
Foods high in vitamin C besides oranges
- Vitamin C content in guavaThe content of vitamin C in guava twice more than in sweet orange. If oranges has 54 milligrams of vitamin C per 100 grams, then the guava contained about 108 milligrams per 100 grams. The fruit is beneficial for weight loss, prevent skin breakouts, lower cholesterol, and treat diarrhea. Guava is a fruit with the highest vitamin C content.
- The content of Vitamin C in KiwiVitamin C in the kiwi apparently proportional to the amount of vitamin C in guava. The content of vitamin C in the kiwi is 100 milligrams per 100 grams. kiwi Including fruits containing high vitamin c. This fruit has health benefits for preventing heart disease and hypertension, treat symptoms of impotence, and maintain stamina. Other properties is able to maintain healthy skin and is suitable as a nutrient for pregnant women.
- Vitamin C in LonganThe content of vitamin C in the Longan about 84 milligrams per 100 grams, still higher than the oranges. Levels of vitamin C on Longan, making this fruit including fruit rich in vitamin C. One of the benefits of this fruit is to cure insomnia.
- Vitamin C in PapayaLevels of vitamin C in papaya, can be different in different reference. But do not worry, because still the average content of vitamin C in papaya is two times more than oranges. Papaya fruit has benefits to reduce the accumulation of fat in the body, helping the process of protein digestion, and improve sperm quality.
- Vitamin C in Red Paprika
The content of vitamin C in red paprika about 190 milligrams of 100 grams, four times more than oranges. But the red paprika are not classified as a fruit that can be eaten like oranges. Because red paprika better known as cooking ingredients or composition of a mixed diet. So it is still better fulfillment oranges for immediate consumption. Usefulness of red pepper can prevent cataracts in the eye.
- Vitamin C in broccoliThe content of vitamin C in broccoli was 118 milligrams per 100 grams. Like red paprika, broccoli is a vegetable. Broccoli has health benefits for cancer prevention, detoxification, prevent stomach disorders, and prevent heart disease. Other properties are able to care for the skin, and prevent anemia.
- Vitamin C in cabbageThe content of vitamin C in cabbage is 160.8 milligrams per 2 cups. Means every one cup contains at least 80.4 milligrams of vitamin C. Cabbage has health benefits can prevent cancer. It also can prevent thrush because it contains vitamin C.
- Vitamin C in strawberriesThe content of vitamin C in strawberries is 56.7 milligrams per 100 grams, 8 consumption of strawberries every day it will fulfill the needs of vitamin C daily. Health benefits of strawberries such as teeth whitening and as a natural acne remedy.
- Vitamin C in CauliflowerOn cauliflower, its vitamin C content reached 50 milligrams per 100 grams, similar to the content of vitamin C in cabbage. Cauliflower has benefits to prevent the occurrence of cancer, such as colon cancer, breast cancer, and tumors.
- Vitamin C in TomatoesThe content of vitamin C in tomatoes is 34 milligrams per 100 grams.
- Vitamin C in ChiliThe content of vitamin C in chili about 84 milligrams per 100 grams, chili has a spicy flavor, so it is rarely eaten straight especially in a dose of 100 grams.
- The content of Vitamin C in applesThe content of vitamin C in apples is 5 milligrams in 100 grams. Apple has benefits to detoxify the body, stabilize the body's immunity, and reduce the body's allergic.