Breastfeeding is a wonderful moment for mom and baby, there is emotional contact for them. The benefits of breastfeeding not only for babies, but it also has benefits for the mother. Even there are so many benefits of it, but for some of first-time breastfeeding mom, this activities raises some concern due to the many negative myths of breastfeeding. In this post, we will try to open your mind about benefits facts of breastfeeding. So, you will have not to worry even just a little. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics in the United States also explained that the research evidence reinforces the conclusion the health benefits of breast milk for breastfeeding mothers.
Breast milk is produced naturally by the body to meet the baby's needs and is the best food for babies. Recommended for new mothers to breastfeed their babies within 30 minutes after the baby is born, to get the colostrum or first milk which very beneficial for the baby. Research shows that babies who were breastfed for at least 6 months will have the endurance better and better intellectual development. Even in the Quran Moslem Holy Book suggest to breastfeed for 2 years, at Surah 2 Verse 233 (check this link).
Benefits of breastfeeding for babies
- Colostrum (first milk on the first day) contains many antibodies that protect babies against disease and infection.
- Breastfeeding develop higher IQ and improve brain development and the nervous system of the baby. Advantage IQ is 10-12 points due to breastfeeding. Breastfeeding referred to as the 4th trimester in brain growth and development. There are certain proteins in milk that stimulate the baby's brain development.
- Breast-fed babies suffer less pain.
- Breastfeeding causes the child has a better antibody response to the vaccine.
- Breast milk composition and amount of the most appropriate nutrition for infants. The composition of breast milk varies according to individual growth and changing nutritional needs baby.
- Breast milk is easily digested and always had the right temperature.
- Breast milk is always sterile, do not has germ.
- There is an element in milk which destroy E coli, salmonella, shigella, streptococcus, pneumococcus and many others.
- Breastfeeding stimulates the development of the jaws and facial structure, growth upright teeth and improve eyesight.
- Breastfeeding creates a strong bond between mother and child. Child has a safe feel. Breastfeeding also plays an important role in the emotional and spiritual development of children.
Benefits of breastfeeding for mom
- Reduce the risk of uterine and ovarian cancer. Lower estrogen levels during lactation causes the decreased risk of second cancers. Is estimated decrease in estrogen leads to reduced stimulation of the uterine wall and breast tissue, thus minimizing the risk of tissue becoming cancerous.
- Reduce the risk of breast cancer. Women who breastfeed reduce the risk of developing breast cancer by 25 percent. Reduction in cancer risk is proportional to the cumulative lifetime duration of breastfeeding. That is, the more months or years of nursing mothers, the lower the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Reduce osteoporosis. Women do not breastfeed have a four times greater risk of developing osteoporosis than breastfeeding women and are more likely to suffer a hip fracture in the years after menopause.
- Delaying pregnancy naturally. Breastfeeding delays ovulation so can result in breastfeeding mothers is not fertile for a while. How long is a woman fertile again depending on breastfeeding patterns and trends of her own.
- Improving emotional health. Breastfeeding is not only good for the body, but also for the mind. Studies show that breastfeeding mothers show less postpartum anxiety and depression than mothers who formula feed.
- Promoting weight loss. Breastfeeding mothers showed more decrease in waist circumference and fat mass in a month after giving birth than mothers who formula feed. Breastfeeding mothers tend to return to pre-pregnancy weight.
- Breast milk is always available to be assigned. Breastfeeding can save time for setting up the bottle, pouring water, mix milk and sterilize bottles that have been used and so on.