Broccoli has long been known as one of the vegetables that are healthy because of the various benefits and nutritional value in it. Broccoli not only contain antioxidants including vitamin C, broccoli is also a natural source of folic acid. Intake of folic acid helps prevent heart disease. Green vegetables and also potentially protect against the development of cancer.
Broccoli is one of the foods that are full of nutrients, but it has a low calorie, other than that, this vegetable is also often a healthy choice for those who want to lose weight.
Broccoli Nutrition Facts
Here are raw Broccoli nutrition fact per 100 g based on USDA
|Dietary fiber||2.6 g|
|Vitamin A equiv.||31 μg|
|lutein and zeaxanthin||1403 μg|
|Pantothenic acid||0.573 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.175 mg|
|Vitamin C||89.2 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.78 mg|
|Vitamin K||101.6 μg|
Health benefits of Broccoli
1. Anti cancer
The American Cancer Society recommends eating broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables because they contain anti-cancer phytochemicals. Epidemiological studies indicate that a diet rich in broccoli can reduce the risk of some types of cancer such as breast cancer, colon cancer and lung cancer.
2. Anti aging
Broccoli also has anti-aging properties that can reverse the effects of aging.
3. Helps digestion
Broccoli is rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps prevent constipation.
The presence of vitamin C, sulfur amino acids make broccoli a very good antidote. Broccoli helps eliminate free radicals and toxins like uric acid from the body.
5. Help control diabetes
Broccoli is rich in chromium, which is known to help regulate insulin and diabetes control.
6. Boost the immune system
Broccoli is a good source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that helps maintain the immune system.
7. Keeping healthy eyes
Studies have shown that beta-carotene in broccoli can protect the eyes against macular degeneration and prevent cataracts.
8. Protects against ultraviolet radiation
Researchers found that the compound sulforaphane in broccoli helps reduce skin damage and inflammation caused by exposure to UV radiation.
9. Strengthen bones and prevent osteoporosis
Because it is rich in calcium, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus, broccoli helps maintain strong bones and keep the bones strong. Eating broccoli is very beneficial to the elderly and pregnant women, because people are more susceptible to osteoporosis.
10. Preventing anemia
Anemia is usually directly related to iron deficiency. Iron and folatyang acid found in broccoli can help prevent iron deficiency anemia.
11. Helping a healthy pregnancy
Broccoli is a good source of folate which helps prevent neural defects such as spina bifida in the fetus. All women need a source of folate during pregnancy.
12. Reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease
A study showed that a diet high in folate may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease and broccoli is one of the foods that contain this substance.
13. Lowering cholesterol and high blood pressure
Broccoli is rich in cholesterol-lowering fiber, chromium and potassium fiber that can help lower cholesterol and control blood pressure.
14. Reducing the risk of heart disease
Lutein is a carotenoid contained in broccoli can prevent thickening of the arteries in the heart, thus reducing the risk of heart disease, especially stroke.
15. Weight loss when dieting
Broccoli is very low in calorie content. Approximately 146 grams of broccoli contains less than 50 calories and therefore broccoli is very good for people who want to lose weight. Therefore, it would be better if you could eat broccoli every day as a healthy food.
How to Cook Broccoli
- Before Cooked broccoli should be cleaned first by rinsing with cold water, but do not soak. Because of by soaking broccoli can remove most of the nutrients contained in it.
- In order for vitamins contained in broccoli is not lost in processing broccoli should be cooked briefly, no more than 5 minutes.
- Boil broccoli will eliminate the important nutrients in it, ie 50% of folate in broccoli will be lost.
- Cooking broccoli by steaming is much better to maintain the positive benefits and efficacy of these vegetables. But if you still want to cook broccoli by boiling, use the amount of water that is not too much, and boil the broccoli in a pan covered so as not to waste a lot of vitamins through the steam that comes out during the boiling process.
- When wanting cook broccoli, you should cook the stems first (approximately 1-2 minutes), followed by cooking flowerets. This is because part of the stalk harder and takes longer to cook.
How to Store Broccoli
Broccoli sometimes does not last long. How to save the broccoli is one of the problems that often arise separately. Good storage is stored in a plastic bag, then put in the fridge. Do not wash the broccoli when will be saved. The vegetables should be eaten as soon as possible is to maintain the freshness and nutrition