There are a few tips to get rid of vertigo. Vertigo is a symptom of a medical condition characterized by the sensation of an unwanted headache. Vertigo makes the body feel pulled from one side to the other and is often aggravated by a spinning sensation.
Stress is not considered as a cause of vertigo, but vertigo can cause stress, and stress can worsen the condition of vertigo. A study conducted on 190 patients by Science Links Japan showed that 31.8 percent of people with vertigo also experience stress. Various drugs taken to combat stress can cause vertigo, from alcohol to antidepressants and tranquilizers. Stress can also trigger changes in blood pressure may aggravate vertigo by affecting blood flow and metabolism in the inner ear.
Depending on the cause, symptoms of vertigo, usually include nausea and balance disorder accompanied by headache, sensitivity to light, muscle aches, and fatigue. Some conditions that cause vertigo such as Meniere's disease is usually accompanied by ringing in the ears, hearing loss, or pressure in the ear.
Causes of Vertigo
Here are some of the causes of vertigo.
1. Inner ear disorders
Most cases of vertigo occur when a person suddenly change the position of the head, like when you wake up or stand quickly. This type of vertigo occurs due to problems in the inner ear, and is also known as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Dizziness due to this vertigo usually disappears within a few minutes.
2. Difficulty seeing
Eye is helps in the functioning of the body's balance, so that the vision problem, can cause impaired balance and trigger of vertigo.
3. Diseases of the central nervous system
The central nervous system regulate a sense of balance. Disruption by diseases of the central nervous system such as multiple sclerosis, tumors, neck damage, or stroke can cause vertigo.
4. Inflammation or infection
Infections such as colds, flu, or other inflammation can affect the inner ear and cause vertigo.
5. Meniere's disease
Meniere's disease causes the inner ear that affects balance fluid flooded. Dizziness may last for half an hour or longer.
Migraine is actually a type of headache but often affect vision as well. Vertigo caused by migraine can take place several minutes to several days.
Not all dizziness is vertigo. Mild dizziness or spinning feeling may not be due to vertigo. These conditions may be caused by low blood pressure, hunger, or anxiety.
Tips To Cure Vertigo
Vertigo treatment focuses on treating the underlying condition.
- If caused by drugs, stop using them is usually enough to relieve vertigo.
- If caused by benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)., the most effective treatment is through canalith repositioning procedure, also known as Epley maneuver. This procedure involves a series of maneuvers (moving) head to remove calcium deposits from the posterior semicircular canal to the other parts in the ear canal.
- Vertigo can also be treated with vestibular rehabilitation therapy which involves a series of specific exercises guided by a physical therapist that is designed to minimize dizziness. The effectiveness of treatment depends on many factors, including age and health condition of the patient, the severity of the condition, and the patient's cognitive function.
- If vertigo is caused by a bacterial infection, antibiotic ear drops may be prescribed.
- If caused by Meniere's disease, taking diuretics and reducing salt intake can help reduce complaints.
- Additionally vertigo disorders can be reduced by taking enzyme Bromelain, Magnesium, Vitamin B12 which serves to regulate the balance of the nervous system. Ginger and Ginko is also very useful to improve circulation to and within the brain.
- For the case of vertigo that still light, aromatherapy is helpful to stabilize the nervous system, both inhaled (breathed in) or massage.
- Have a healthy diet that is low in sodium and sugar. Make sure you get your essential vitamins and minerals. If you are doing salads, add lemon peel to boost that vertigo-fighting meal.
- Lastly, talk to your doctor about the best treatment. Each individual may have a different case and require different types of treatment
Tips to overcome the vertigo attacks quickly
1. Sleep with your head a little high
2. Get up slowly and sit down before you got up from the bed
3. Avoid bending position when lifting objects
4. Avoid tilting the head position, for example to take an object from a height
5. Move your head carefully if your head in a flat position (horizontal) or when the neck in up position