Research shows many benefits of fish oil for health, but the scientific evidence shows greatest benefit fish oil is for heart health. Compared to other animal fats, fatty fish (better known as fish oil) is very low in cholesterol. It is very beneficial to health because of excess cholesterol can cause health problems. Increasing public awareness of the need good nutrition to support health has encouraged increased consumption of fish oil in the world.
This is based on the fact that fish oils contain a lot of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Polyunsaturated fatty acids are extremely beneficial to the intelligence, vision, and immune system. In addition, it is also useful in tackling the problem of atherosclerosis (clogged arteries) and coronary heart disease.
Our bodies can not make omega-3, so to get the amount needed we should eat foods that contain omega-3. In addition to fatty fish, omega-3 is also found in walnuts, canola oil, olive oil, flaxseed, and soy beans. Compared to vegetable sources, omega-3 derived from animal remains the best. This is because fish oil has two essential acids, namely eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). While the only vegetable source contains fatty acids aplha-linolenic acid (ALA). Research showing the benefits of EPA and DHA is much greater than ALA.
Omega-3 fatty acid often found in fish, such as clupeids, herring, mackerel, salmon, tuna and anchovies. Lemuru fish oil rich in EPA that number could reach 7.1 g/100 g, while the tuna fish oil rich in DHA with amount of 8.2 g/100 g.
Canned fish is not a good source of Omega-3, because in the process, fish oil is intentionally removed and replaced with palm oil, tomato sauce, or salt water as a marinade media. Elimination of intentionally done so that fish oil can not easily rancid due to oxidation of unsaturated fatty acids from fish.
Nutrition Fact of Fish Oil
Considering so many benefits from fish oil, some industries competing to make fish oil concentrate. The product is in the form of a mixture or pure capsule form of EPA and DHA. Concentrated fish oil is coated with gelatin as a protector.
In general, fish oils sold in the market is concentrated fish oil in gelatin capsules size of 1 gram with vitamin E an extra 1 IU per gram as a stabilizer. This product has been developed by many countries (especially Japan and Korea) as a medicinal and nutritional supplements. Especially for toddlers, fish oil is also sold in the form of syrup or emulsion. Eating fish directly, is considered better than supplements but you should be aware of the possibility of fish contaminated with mercury or heavy metals.
Health benefits of fish oil
1. Preventing cardiovascular disease such as heart disease. Fish oil not only helps in lowering triglycerides, cholesterol and hardening of the arteries, but also prevent heart rhythm abnormalities.
2. Fish oil proven in several studies to block the 3 types of cancer. Like, breast, colon, and prostate. Omega in fish oil helps in maintaining healthy cells mutate into tumors, and also controls the growth of bad cells.
3. Fish oil also helps regulate cholesterol levels due to the presence of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DPA (docosahexaenoic acid).
4. Eating fish oil can also be used in the therapeutic treatment of hypertension and obesity. A study conducted in Australia says that regular consumption of fish oil can aid in weight loss efforts.
5. Fish oil helps in treating arthritis. Long-term use of the oil can be effective in reducing and preventing arthritis pain.
6. Eye health. Consumption of fish oil in the long run it also provides benefits to treat blurred vision in the eye.
7. Fish oil helps in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease dementia, and schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a psychiatric disorder and medical conditions that affect the normal functioning of cognitive, emotional, and behavior.
8. Omega 3 in fish oils help moisturize the scalp cells, produce collagen, and relieve skin inflammation datangya cause dandruff.
9. Omega 3 contains anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant, a trait that helps in lowering blood pressure.
10. Eating fish oil is also a very effective step in reducing respiratory problems, such as asthma sufferers as a way to breathe easier
Negative Side Effect Of Fish Oil
With so many nutrients contained in fish oil, can certainly help maintain a healthy body and gives good protection. But it does not mean much, because eating too much fish oil can actually harm the body. Excess fish oil content will not work in the body. It can actually cause a variety of bad effects on health such as:
Excessive doses of fish oil can cause internal bleeding. Bleeding can be a bruising, indicating leakage of blood under the skin. Bruised area may also swell due to accumulation of blood under the skin. Other signs that indicate leakage of blood in the body is the change in stool color. Stools are usually brownish yellow, it will turn black.
These are symptoms of gastrointestinal bleeding, which means the location 'blood leak is the intestines. When stool color changes to black, indicating the presence of blood in the stool. Sometimes, a little blood is seen when the patient sits. Blood in the vomit also indicate bleeding in the body.
Too much fish oil can also trigger allergic reactions in the body. Allergic reactions are considered as the immune system's response to harmful substances. So understandably, fish oil is considered good for health, be dangerous if overdosed. Allergic reactions can be caused by skin problems such as hives (itchy red bumps pale) or a rash that does not go away unless the intake of fish oil is stopped.
In case of severe allergic reaction, one would be hard to breathe. Difficulty breathing are signs of side effects of fish oil consumption too much.
Cerebral hemorrhage is the most serious side effects of fish oil overdose. Cerebral hemorrhage occurs when a blood vessel located in the brain ruptures and causes local bleeding. Bleeding in the brain can cause severe headaches. It can also lead to impaired speech or vision, and performance of the body becomes weak.
In some cases, taking fish oil in large amounts continuously can cause massive brain hemorrhage, so it will be difficult to return to normal.
So be wise in taking fish oil
Doses of Fish Oil
- Doses of 900 mg / day has been shown to have beneficial effects in reducing the development of heart disease.
- It is recommended to consume at least two servings of fish per week because it can provide good benefits for the health of the heart and blood vessels.
- American Heart Association (AHA) recommends consuming at least 1 gram of EPA + DHA for people who have heart disease.
- AHA also recommends 2-4 g / day of EPA + DHA for people who want to lower the levels of triglycerides in their blood, but it should be under the supervision of a physician.