Ginseng is a herb that has many benefits and has been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years. Not only in the east, ginseng has also been widely adopted in many western countries due to a variety of health benefits. Ginseng is often used in traditional medicine, especially in China. The roots of this plant can improve blood flow and increase the production of red blood cells, and aid recovery from illness.
Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) is a kind of medicinal plants belonging to the tribe Araliaceae. Ginseng grown and spread throughout the Northern Hemisphere, especially in mainland Siberia, Manchuria, Korea, to the North American. tropical ginseng can be found also in Vietnam, that is from species, Panax vietnamensis.
Ginseng has three different varieties: Korean ginseng (Asian), American ginseng and Siberian ginseng.
Health Benefits of Ginseng
1. Reduce mental stress
Ginseng can increase mental alertness, as well as change the mood and relieve fatigue. Another benefit is a concoction of antidepressants and anti-anxiety. When a person experiences excessive stress, adrenal hormones (cortisol, adrenaline, and noradrenaline) will flow out and cause a variety of health problems. In this situation, ginseng can help you in balancing the level of adrenaline.
2. Stimulates the immune system and the nervous
Ginseng can boost immunity. Some experts say ginseng herbal medicine can improve the quality of life. Adaptogenic properties of ginseng help stimulate people to stay young. Meanwhile, in the elderly, can restore damaged cells in the body. Ginseng can also help you fight off the flu and other infectious diseases.
3. Treating diabetes
Blood sugar levels can drop drastically by taking ginseng. However, if you're already using anti diabetic medications, should reconsider using ginseng simultaneously. Because the mixing ginseng with diabetes drugs can make blood sugar levels are too low. Therefore, it is necessary recommendation from a doctor.
4. Prevent the development of cancer
The growth of certain types of cancer cells can be inhibited by ginseng. Chinese Medicine Journal reported, ginsenosides have anti-tumor effects and can induce cell damage in prostate cancer, ovarian cancer cells, lung adenocarcinoma cells and neuroblastoma cells. In addition, ginseng also acts to inhibit cell cycle progression, which can slow the growth of cancer cells.
5. Lowering cholesterol levels
In some studies found, Ginseng lowers LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). Scientists believe that ginsenocides contained in ginseng is responsible for decreased levels of cholesterol in the body.
6. Reduce Fatigue
Adaptogenic role of different strains of Ginseng is believed to provide physiological changes in the body to adapt to fatigue due to too much work.
7. Improve endurance athletes
Quality of ginseng in improving stamina, has made it popular stimulant tonic among athletes. During practice, an athlete needs to be consistent in order to maintain stamina remains high, and ginseng can help to make it happen.
The use of ginseng is not recommended especially for pregnant women and nursing mothers, to prevent the occurrence of contraindications. In addition, ginseng may also affect the reaction of some drugs, such as blood thinners such as warfarin, heparin, aspirin, and diuretics. Therefore, it is not advisable to consume ginseng if you are taking medication for hypertension or other cardiovascular diseases.
Ginseng Benefits For Beauty
Currently, it has been widely found beauty and health products containing ginseng or ginseng extract. For example, a face mask and ginseng herbal tea. here are the benefits:
- Ginseng roots and leaves contain lots of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and vitamin C which is very good for the body. Vitamins and other ingredients found in ginseng helps metabolize skin cells and nourish the skin by 'encouraging' dead skin cells to get out and produce healthy new skin and toned.
- Ginseng is widely used for skin care because it can help prevent premature aging. Ginseng makes the skin tight because of the ingredients in ginseng can increase the production of collagen in the middle layer of skin (dermis). Collagen is what makes skin become more elastic and toned so the wrinkles or fine lines on the face or other body parts are not visible.
- Another benefit is as a toner or facial freshener, ginseng may help reduce black spots on the face. When you make your own mask of ginseng, ginseng oil you should mixed with other ingredients to mask. For example, sunflower oil, honey or water. This is because oil ginseng, is highly concentrated. Mask ginseng indeed helpful prevent aging and disguise wrinkles. However, it should be used at most 2 times a week.
- Tip: Apply a small quantity of the mask to the back of the ears prior to rub it in the face. Let stand for 10 minutes. It aims to test whether you have an allergy to the mask-based ginseng.
- Helps treat skin diseases. Acne, eczema, rough skin is a disease associated with incomplete metabolism system. Our skin can absorb the content of ginseng is effective, so as to subcutaneous vascular circulation. Therefore by taking ginseng can reduce the symptoms mentioned above and your skin back to being cheerful and bright.